So I met this guy at the market this weekend. It will sound like I'm making fun of him, but in all honesty, he was pretty damn cool.
His name is Atamdev. It means 'something' rejuvenation of soul and 'something'. It was given to him by his Yogi brethren at a 6 week meditation retreat this winter. He is originally from Mexico City but lives up in the mountains of Canada. He is in Portland because there was a bus of kids coming down here and he thought he might tag along. The bus has gone back, but he is living with a relative of the bus driver so that he might check out Portland for longer.
He is a performance artist whose work is mostly focused on gender and sex roles. Specifically how what it was to be a man in the 1950's is different from a man in the 1990's and 1500's and so on.
He is the type of artist who paints but is not a painter, sculpts without being a sculptor, and dances because its simply refined movement.
He wanted to buy one of my pins to wear it in his hair like a barrette. I don't know how.
He knew I was a Pisces without really asking and asked me if I knew the Pisces hand shake. I laughed at him and said I didn't know there was a secret club hand shake, but the other customer in my booth put me in my place by speaking over her shoulder saying that she knew the secret Taurus hand shake.
I talked with this fascinating guy for about an hour total, but in two installments with a ten minute break where on the second visit he had a different shirt on and a different pair of sunglasses.
He had one of those gazes that had no issues looking you directly in the eyes at all times, except for when he closed them to try to remember the name of the artist who painted with chocolate.
He kept looking at his watch like he obviously had somewhere to go, but would then look at me with one of those completely open souled meditation glossed over stares and decide not to go anywhere. He was supposed to be on his way to a B/W gender film festival of some sort but also had an original Star Trek episode reproduction performance in a park that evening which he invited me to.
I told him I had something else going on, which I truthfully did, and he eventually left, but only after he got a hug.
It crossed my mind that he might have been high, but truly, it was only on spirit.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment