Tuesday, October 27, 2009

When the News comes to your studio...

So Brooke and Eric of Fox News "Better" Portland TV, along with a fairly large fancy camera and microphone clip just left my studio.
The marketing/advertising guy at the Saturday Market set it up to come look at my work and how I do what I do. He says I'm an asset to the market, isn't that sweet, I'm sure he says that to all the vendors...
It was an interesting interview. Not REALLY interesting, but a funny experience for sure.
They made some strange choices as to what to talk about in my opinion, but they are the editors, so I let them to it.
It's funny to see "TV" in action. They really know that they need to make a 'story' and to have an 'angle'. So they ask you to do things, and you say 'oh, okay yeah, i can do that I guess'.
I wish I had known when the camera was off or on, and when they were asking a question that they wanted to record or were just fishing for a line or something.
We had a lot more interesting things to talk about when the camera was off its tripod in my view, but, that's perhaps not what 3 minute afternoon news segments are really all about.
I'm glad I didn't make any large gaffs though, except for a stutter or two, and generally not being my best fluid self.
I'll be as intrigued as anyone to see how it all edits out in the end.
I think in the end, it will just be another 'lets poke the monkey making art, ask him questions and see if he flings poo in response' type of thing. It's what the masses want. Not most of my customers mind you, just the 'masses'. The people who just walk around waiting for entertainment to hit them in the face.

Oh and Mike, they MADE me play the book on tape I had which was Metal Swarm, book 6 in the Saga of Seven Suns series.
-sigh-
I told them 'we could just put on OPB?', but they wanted the dorky fantasy novel going while I worked. Great. But damnit if I can't say that I didn't have it right there, so I suppose I am to blame.

anyway, I make it sound like it was awful, which it wasn't, I'll post a link here when it airs and is put up online!

1 comment:

Mr.M said...

I'm SOOO looking forward to seeing this segment! I'm sure you did great and i find it hilarious that they outed your commitment to finishing that uber-cheezy sci-fi series. Did they do any cool close up shots of your thread work?